The Back Log

I had my first surgery on October 25, 2004 - level three lumbar fusion with instrumentation, lamenectomy, removal of large synovial cyst at L-4/L5, two herniated discs (one replaced with artificial disc), lumbar scoliosis, spondylolysthesis (probably) caused by a sixth lumbar vertabrae. My second fusion surgery was on August 28, 2006. My third and most recent was February 24, 2011. I hope it will be my last, but my surgeon has now warned me that it might not be.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County, NY, United States

I've been married to the same man (Hans) for a very long time, and together we like to travel, mostly on ships. No kids, our choice, so it was always easier to do what we wanted to do without too many restrictions. I love the Internet for research and just for the entertainment value it offers.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Three Weeks Today

Today, I feel great! Yesterday, not so good. Saturday, okay. Friday, awful.

I wish there was some way to make sure this long recovery had uniform days of feeling good. I'm trying to figure out if it *is* the Percocet that is making me feel so sleepy and low, yet I still need it for the pain, like I had last night. I desperately wanted to watch "Desperate Housewives" last night, but had to go lay in bed earlier than planned after taking a Percocet. I felt better, fell asleep and woke at 3:30 AM to take another Percocet. This morning I feel great. I'm trying to not take as many pain meds, but it's only three weeks today that I had my surgery, and I know the Percocet will be with me for at least a few more weeks, so I have to get used to it.

Thankfully, I have absolutely no pain at all in my legs anymore from the disk problems at L3-L4. I don't have very much incision pain or post-surgical pain there, but when I do, I do need meds for it, plus I can't even take anything less than an opiate because I'm fusing. Curiously, I keep getting a fierce pain right on a palm-sized area of my right outer hip every once in a while when I'm laying down (but not on that side.) The only thing I can think of that it could be is residual pain from the bad disks. My lower back feels great, where the larger screw was put in to replace the earlier loose one. I now know the pain I used to have back there was from that darned loose screw!